In the beginning...

Monday, December 28, 2009

Bread making dates back to the Mesopotamia where people first ground wheat into a fine paste, mixed it with water, and cooked it, producing an unleavened bread. this primitive bread making might even date back all the way into the stone age.

From a quick scan of the internet yeast was first cultivated by the Egyptians. Such an inventive time in history. Some scientists think that over 30 types of bread were popular in Ancient Egypt.

Today we have many options for bread at our local supermarket. Name brands packed with preservatives, some lower in calories, stamped with sell by dates that make it last astoundingly long compared with what the Ancient Egyptians dealt with. Bakery and specialty breads selections made fresh that day. Dough frozen, ready to pop in the oven. Dough unfrozen, sealed in strange pressured containers that you pop open like a holiday cracker.

I've decided to try my own hand at it. I have a beautiful farmers market miles from my house. My husbands been gardening and canning. It's time to take the jump into bread making. So we got on craigslist and purchased this  Oster Breadmaker. "I've only used it once, it was a wedding gift." the lady at the door proclaimed. The stickers still on the machine, I believe her. $15 dollars later and The Boy and I are on are way.

So I'm going to turn someone else's trash into my good fortune. Let's see what this puppy can do in 2010!

0 comments:

Urban Breadmachine Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino